- The poll was voted upon by a panel of coaches divided by classes.
- Head-to-head is given preference over average times/spread
- Once votes are compiled, those schools falling in the 16th-20th positions are listed as “Teams to Watch”
- While preference is given to head-to-head competition it simply isn’t possible for teams to run against each other throughout the season. Therefore the committees have to do some extrapolation to judge positions of the teams.
- Courses vary from year-to-year and location to location. It isn’t as simple as comparing times because of these variations. Coaches attempt to collaborate on communicating the difficulty of the course when results are compiled.
- Teams don’t always run their varsity team. Our goal is to have all coaches report if they are holding back their varsity runners during a race so we can properly judge positioning of teams.
- While we do our best to get complete and accurate meet results, at times we either don’t get all results or they are delayed. Since we only use results through Saturday meets when releasing polls it is possible we will not be able to count a head-to-head victory until the following poll.