The Dick Washburn Middle School Statewide Cross Country meet is hosted by the Iowa Association of Track Coaches. As a non-school event, it does not count towards a team’s limit of 7 meets in the fall.
If familiar with the sign-up process, here is the registration link for 2016.
If not, it is highly encouraged that you read this page thoroughly, especially the last section on how to enter athletes.
Registration & Information
When: Saturday, October 15, 2016
Where: Ankeny Centennial H. S. Cross Country Course 2220 NW State St, Ankeny, IA 50023
Ankeny Centennial H.S. – $5.00 per car
To relieve parking congestion, we are asking that all 7th grade 4A racers enter the parking lot via the 18th Street entrance south of the school. All buses should also use the 18th Street entrance.
All other participants should enter parking lots via the multiple State Street entrances. Directions on how to get to ACHS are included later on this page.
Distance: 2 Miles (See the Course Map )
Entries: 7th or 8th Grade Student – Register here (http://www.aspimeetz.com/24005)
Races will be divided by gender and school size classification. Weather conditions may determine the need for races to be combined. Presently the Large school division will be divided by class. Therefore, 4A and 3A size schools will run separately. 2A and 1A classification schools will run in a combined race. Despite running together, there will still be a full slate of separate awards for 2A and 1A.
The IGHSAU and IHSAA high school Track and Field rules will be followed. Medical alert medals should be taped to the body. Watches may be worn and must be Non-GPS types.
Sportsmanship-It is the clear obligation of contestants and coaches in all interscholastic competitions to practice the highest principles of sportsmanship and ethics of competition. The governing organization shall have authority to penalize any contestant or coach in violation of this obligation.
Check the IATC Website for Weather related and competition related notices. ( http://www.iowarunjumpthrow.com/)
The sport of Cross Country is run in all weather conditions and our first and utmost concern is for the welfare and safety of our young athletes and their families.
All divisions will be competed unless Meet Management and IATC Executive Board determine the weather conditions cause a safety concern for the athletes, coaches, parents and fans. If the event is cancelled by Meet Management and IATC Executive Board, there will be no refunds of entry fees.
If the meet is in progress and the weather turns severe, (damaging winds, thunder and lightning) the meet will be stopped. The athletes and their families will be asked to seek shelter. Following the passing of the severe weather and the course is deemed safe for competition, the meet will continue.
The meet will be contested on the scheduled date and there will be no make-up date for the meet.
Race Day Information
Check-in: Opens at 9:00 am Saturday 10-15-2016
All Teams and Athletes are encouraged to check in 90 minutes before your class and grade’s races start.
Course Info: Course Map (2 miles)
- NO ENTRIES Will Be Accepted On Race Day.
- All runners will wear a Race Number during the race. Number Pickup will be at the Check-In Table.
- All entries must be SUBMITTED BY On-line Registration by 11:59PM Monday, October 10, 2016.
- ON-LINE ENTRIES OPEN AUGUST 31, 2016 Register Here: WASHBURN CLASSIC REGISTRATION
- Due to the large number of athletes, we CANNOT allow RACE DAY entries.
$10.00 per runner pre-registration, PAY ON LINE by 11:59PM Monday, October 10, 2016. Those paying by school check may mail via USPS to address below:
Washburn Classic Coordinator
512 NE 47th St
Ankeny, Iowa 50021
Make checks payable to Iowa Association of Track Coaches or IATC. Include team name, grade level, gender and school on check and the names of the athletes the payment is covering on a separate sheet of paper.
Late Fee – $20.00 per runner if PAID ON LINE by NOON Thursday, October 13, 2016. Late entries CANNOT mail their payments as they will not arrive on time. Late entries are only accepted if space is available in the races.
No entries beyond noon Thursday, on Friday, or on the day of the race.
Runners who have not paid online or whose check has not arrived will be required to pay the $20.00 late fee prior to receiving their bib numbers on race day.
ONLINE ENTRIES OPEN AUGUST 31 FOR THIS YEAR (2016). Please click here WASHBURN CLASSIC REGISTRATION for the On-line Registration. We again have removed the multiple links per class/gender and have condensed all registration into a single link. Please be sure to check for correct class, grade, and gender before hitting the DECLARE button. Additions, scratches, and corrections can be e-mailed to Eric Cogdill; (firstname.lastname@example.org) up to the closing date of Monday, October 10 at 11:59pm.
Coaches: All athletes from the same school will be placed into a single packet for pick-up with the exception of:
** non-paid entrees will be held separate in order to collect payment.
** entrants specifically requesting to have their bib number left separate
2016 Race Schedule
RACE SCHEDULE THIS YEAR
11:00 – 7th Grade Class 4A Girls
11:20 – 7th Grade Class 4A Boys
11:40 – 8th Grade Class 4A Girls
12:00 – 8th Grade Class 4A Boys
12:20 – 7th Grade Class 3A Girls
12:40 – 7th Grade Class 3A Boys
1:00 – 8th Grade Class 3A Girls
1:20 – 8th Grade Class 3A Boys
Class 2A and 1A will run combined races and will be separated at the chute for Team scoring and medals.
1:40 – 7th Grade Class 2A and 1A Girls
2:00 – 7th Grade Class 2A and 1A Boys
2:20 – 8th Grade Class 2A and 1A Girls
2:40 – 8th Grade Class 2A and 1A Boys
Each race will begin approximately every 20 minutes.
Races will NOT start early.
PACKET PICKUP FOR TEAMS AND INDIVIDUALS is strongly recommended at least one and a half hour (90 MIN.) before your class and grade’s scheduled races start.
Unlimited entries per school, all compete for individual awards.
Individual and Team Competition
- Medals to the first 50 individuals in each race.
- Team Champion & Runner Up Award each Class Grade and Gender.
- The Team title is determined by Replacement Scoring, A team’s first 6 finishers count, scoring the top 4 finishers per team.
- 7th grade athletes may move up to compete on an 8th grade team for any reason, but they will not be competing for 7th grade individual awards and they can only run one race on the day.
- One team per middle school/junior high.
- The middle school season dictates whether or not a team should compete together or separate in the question of high school feeder programs.
- Alpha HS has two middle school buildings, Bravo MS and Charlie MS. Bravo and Charlie have separate coaches and compete separately all fall. They should compete separately at the Washburn Classic.
- Delta HS has two middle school buildings, Echo MS and FoxTrot MS. Echo and FoxTrot compete together as one team all fall. They should compete as one team at the Washburn Classic.
- Sigma HS and Kappa HS have a sharing agreement and compete as Kappa-Sigma at the high school level. Sigma MS and Kappa MS have separate coaches and compete separately all fall. They should compete separately at the Washburn Classic.
- Theta HS and Lambda HS have a sharing agreement and compete as Lambda-Theta at the high school level. Their middle schools also compete together as one team all fall. They should compete as one team at the Washburn Classic.
- Think of it this way, if the team were to win a plaque, there should not be a question which middle school trophy case gets to house it.
Washburn Classic Apparel
Washburn Classic apparel will be available for sale at the meet including: t-shirts, drifit shirts, sweatshirts, and stocking caps. Please pay for apparel using cash or checks. No credit cards please.
- A Concession Stand will be open at the meet site. Food from the outside will not be allowed into the meet site.
- A trainer will be on site to tend to the athletes.
- Team/Individuals are asked to pick up camps when leaving the meet.
Directions to the Meet
From I-35/235 (Coming from the North):
- From I-35 take the 36th Street exit and head west on 36th Street
- Stay on 36th Street until you reach NW State Street
- Turn left (South) onto NW State Street
- Follow NW State Street until you reach Ankeny Centennial High School on your right (East) side of the road.
- For event parking, turn into the first (Northernmost) drive off State Street
From I-35/235 (Coming from the South):
- From I-35 take the 1st Street exit and head west on 1st Street
- Stay on 1st Street until you reach NW State Street
- Turn right (North) onto NW State Street
- Follow NW State Street until you reach Ankeny Centennial High School on your left (East) side of the road.
- For event parking, turn into the second (middle) drive off State Street
Follow these simple instructions for entering your athletes into the Middle School State-wide cross country meet.
Registration can be done either by either a coach bringing his/her team, a parent bringing the local team, or a parent bringing an individual athlete. ALL are welcome!
- Visit the following site: http://www.aspimeetz.com/24005
- Login or create an account.
- If you are new to the site, create an account on the left.
- If you have used the site before, sign-in with your account on the right.
- After signing in, click Edit Athlete List
- Enter your athletes’ names and their grade level
- Click Save.
- At this point, you have added a roster, but they are not entered in the meet.
- Click Edit Entries
- Add your athlete to the correct class (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A), gender, and grade level (7th, 8th).
- Click Save.
- At this point, your athletes are still not entered in the meet.
- If you do not see a total price listed for your entries ($10 per athlete), go back to step 3 and retrace your work.
- When you have confirmed a price total:
- Double check that all your athletes are entered in the right class, gender, and grade.
- Click DECLARE.
- Your athletes are now entered in the meet (YAY!)
- Proceed to payment.
- Pay online
- To pay online, follow the “Pay Now” link that appears after you have clicked “DECLARE”
- If unable to pay online because you are using a school check, e-mail email@example.com to notify him you have mailed the check and then mail it via the instructions listed earlier
- You will not be able to pick up your packet on race day if Bill has not confirmed your check has arrived.
- If stuck, retry from the beginning or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org